Facial Feminization Surgery
What is Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)?
Facial feminization surgery refers to set of surgical procedures that are targeted at achieving a more feminine looking face. This usually means creating softer, rounder, more delicate facial features, that are characteristic of a female face.
Who can get Facial Feminization Surgery?
You are a likely candidate for Facial Feminization Surgery if you are:
- A transwoman looking for facial reconstruction
- A woman looking for softer, more feminine facial features
- A woman with disproportionate facial features (like a large nose on an otherwise small and feminine facial framework)
What Facial Feminization Surgery Can & Can’t Do?
- Change your facial appearance to make you look more like a female
- Improve the face profile and symmetry
- Positively change your perception of yourself
- Improve your self-confidence and mental health
- Promise to make you look like a certain person or a celebrity
- Change your personality
How should you prepare for Facial Feminization Surgery?
- You may need to discontinue your hormonal treatment for a few days to weeks before the surgery
- Your doctor may require you to produce a clearance letter from your psychiatrist before the surgery
- Discuss your specific facial feature requirements with your surgeon
- Changing your facial bony framework is a long-term commitment. Make sure you are certain about the type and amount of change you want
- You will be an active participant of the planning phase involving simulation of the predicted final facial profile
- FFS is often performed in stages, especially when there are multiple procedures involved and also when FFS is combined with body feminization / gender reassignment procedures.In such cases, it is important to be prepared that the final facial structure will be established only after all stages are complete.
- Complete facial feminization is an extremely positive, yet a sudden and radical, change in the facial features. You must be mentally prepared for the transformation and seek counselling as and when required
- Discuss any medical illnesses, if you have, with your doctor before the surgery
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the surgery
Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) Procedure
FFS is a broad term that includes a set of procedures required to make the face look more feminine. The type and number of procedures required may be different for each case, depending on the individual facial structure and patient requirements.
So FFS may include one, some or all of the following procedures:
- Scalp advancement (Hairline lowering)
- Forehead recontouring
- Orbital (brow bone) recontouring
- Brow lift
- Cheek implants
- Facial fat grafting
- Buccal fat removal
- Genioplasty (narrowing of the chin)
- Jawline recontouring
Additional procedures that may be required in some cases:
- Hair transplantation
- Upper or lower blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)
- Face and neck liposuction
- Lip lift
- Facial skin tightening
At our center, all procedures are performed leaving no perceptible scars on the face. Mock surgeries are performed on surgical simulation software before the procedure to achieve predictable and accurate results. This also gives you a good idea of the final facial structure so that you are able to give your own input and have some control over your results.
State-of-the-art advanced surgical equipment and premium quality implants used at our center(like ultrasonic bone surgery, MicroAire and FaceTite) ensure a shorter and safer surgery, with lower surgical downtime. They also provide more accurate and aesthetic outcomes than conventional techniques.
Recovery after Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)?
- Depending on the number and extent of procedures performed, FFS may require a period of hospitalization of 1-2 days
- Facial swelling and bruising may be seen after the procedure, which gradually settles over few days after the surgery
- You may be advised a semi-solid diet for a few days after surgery
- Regular saline rinses are advised to maintain wound hygiene
- You may experience some transient numbness of the lower lip, forehead and some nasal stuffiness in some cases
- Tissue healing progresses slowly and gradually over weeks following the surgery. While a large fraction of the swelling resolves within 2 weeks after surgery, complete resolution may take longer and facial features keep improving over the following 6-12 weeks. So, it is important to be patient to see the final result
- You may benefit from a period of psychological counselling after surgery to help adapt to the result
Risks involved in Facial Feminization Surgery?
Some of the common risks involved in FFS include:
- Lower lip numbness
- Numbness over the forehead
- Wound infection
- Nasal stuffiness, or sinusitis