What Is Genioplasty Surgery?
Genioplasty surgery or chin augmentation surgery is a surgical procedure done to improve the contour and position of the chin bone. It is a very versatile procedure which can:
- Bring the chin forward
- Set the chin back
- Decrease the chin height
- Increase the chin height
- Centre an asymmetrical chin
The chin is among the most defining features of the facial aesthetic. Even a small reshaping of the chin can remarkably improve the facial appearance. It can make one look more masculine or feminine, or more youthful, as desired.
The contour change obtained with genioplasty is permanent. Therefore, genioplasty surgery warrants a detailed doctor-patient discussion and meticulous pre-surgical planning.
Why Genioplasty Is Done?
- To make the chin more prominen
- To decrease the chin projection
- To rejuvenate and define the jawline
- To straighten asymmetric chins
What Genioplasty Can / Can’t Do
- Improve the face profile and symmetry
- Define the jawline
- Make you appear more feminine or masculine, depending on the procedure
- Reduce a double chin appearance
How You Should Prepare For Genioplasty?
- Discuss your aesthetic requirements with your surgeon
- Planning consult includes your approval of a simulated jaw profile designed by your doctor
- Discuss any medical illnesses, if you have, with your doctor
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the surgery
- Get an oral prophylaxis (scaling) 1 week before surgery to improve oral hygiene and surgical outcome
What is the Procedure of Genioplasty?
Genioplasty surgery is a safe and simple procedure performed under general anesthesia. It involves separating the bony chin from the lower jaw and repositioning it into a more aesthetic position. The chin is then fixed into its new position using sterile titanium miniplates.
The wound is thoroughly washed and closed with a few stitches. The complete procedure takes roughly 60 minutes. The entire surgery is done from inside the oral cavity with no scars or stitches anywhere on the face.
At our centre, the use of piezosurgery for bone cutting prevents the risk of injury to vital nerves and teeth during surgery, making the entire treatment experience safer and more comfortable for the patient. Also, the fixation plates used are premium quality and steam sterilized to prevent any risk of infection.
Recovery After Genioplasty?
- Genioplasty is a simple procedure, with a speedy recovery
- Mild swelling may be seen for up to 10 days after the procedure
- Solid foods and heavy exercise are to be avoided for 7 days after the surgery
- Normal diet and lifestyle may resume after 1 week
- Regular saline rinses are advised to maintain wound hygiene
- You may experience some numbness of the lip in some cases
Risk involved in Genioplasty?
If not performed by an expert, it may lead to:
- Permanent lip numbness
- Damage to lower teeth
- Wound infection